Since 1931 JCT has produced standard forms of construction contract, guidance notes and other standard forms of documentation for use by the construction industry.
Today JCT provides a larger and more comprehensive range of contract documentation than any other contract-producing body in the UK construction industry.
JCT became a Limited Company in 1998 and the organisation is comprised of seven member bodies. The members of the company represent the sectors of the industry who are the key participants (i.e. signatories) in the contract process.
- British Property Federation
- Contractors Legal Grp Limited
- Local Government Association
- National Specialist Contractors Council Limited
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited
Each of the member organisations nominate a Director to the Company Board, who sit under the Chair. In addition, The JCT Council contains 47 representatives from its member bodies, who comprise the company’s five ‘Colleges’.
It is through the Colleges that new forms of contract and amendments to existing contracts are produced.
- Employers, Clients and Local Authorities (British Property Federation, Local Government Association)
- Consultants (Association for Project Management, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors, Royal Institute of British Architects, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
- Contractors (Contractors Legal Grp Limited)
- Specialists and Sub-contractors (National Specialist Contractors Council)
- Scottish Building Industry (Scottish Building Contract Committee Limited)