JCT has an important role, alongside our primary function of producing construction contracts, to improve their understanding and use through education and training.
We provide a range of resources, including learning, training and networking opportunities across the following areas of the construction industry, to assist those who are looking to develop their skills in the use, admisitration, and teaching of JCT contracts:
- Students and young professionals
- Contract users in the construction supply chain
- Education providers
Some of our core resources include:
Read on to find out more about our specific initiatives for each of these key groups.
Students and young professionals
JCT Young Professionals Group (YPG)
The JCT YPG is a focus group for professionals within roughly the first ten years of their career, those that are “young in the industry” regardless of age, and students, whose members are interested in elevating their professional profile, expanding their industry network and connecting with peers, and giving back to the industry through fostering a long-term engagement with JCT.
- A platform for young professionals and those new to a construction career regardless of age, across different sectors of the industry, to network and share experiences, knowledge, and ideas in an informal way.
- A link between YPG members and industry experts for the sharing of knowledge and experience.
- A range of useful on and off-line tools to link professionals together with JCT.
- A way for professionals to engage with JCT, the UK’s largest provider of construction contracts, and a key example of a cross-industry collaboration, to shape the future of construction contracts.
The YPG is a new initiative, and we are looking for input from young professionals and interested potential members across the construction industry to help shape the group’s agenda. With individual and corporate memberships available for just £5, interested potential members can find out more or sign-up over at the YPG’s dedicated website via the link below:
Contract users in the Construction Supply Chain
JCT Training provides courses on specific JCT contract familes, as well as other contract related matters. The courses are to designed to help construction professionals with a range of JCT topics, including:
- Learning about some of the main contracts in the JCT range, including setting out these contracts, looking at what provisions are included
- Gaining knowledge and guidance to avoid common pitfalls.
- Exploring the legal underpinning behind JCT contracts to give users confidence when they are working with particular JCT forms.
The courses are delivered by a range of expert trainers, all current or past members of the JCT Council, or JCT Drafting Sub-committee. This means the training is delivered by those directly involved in the creation of the JCT 2016 Edition.
Courses are currently delivered as day-long, face-to-face sessions, or in a 3-hour format as live, interactive webinars.
Use the button below to find out more about JCT Training, and to book a course.
JCT Contracts Discovery
JCT Contracts Discovery is an education and learning module designed for education and training providers, in-house training teams and independent tutors.
Delivered in both hard-copy and online formats, the module provides the materials that students need to gain a comprehensive yet broad understanding of JCT contracts and JCT contractual procedures.
The module sets new standards for construction contract education, improving the understanding of contract use and assisting the development of the construction professionals of the future.
It supplements a student’s knowledge of JCT contracts and helps to explain their use in context. It can be used alongside the study of specific contract documents to offer a deeper level of understanding.
The module is organised so that each section covers a key area of the construction process impacted by JCT’s range of documents.
JCT Contracts Discovery:
- Explains the major elements of the JCT suite of contracts
- Goes through the way in which JCT contracts are set up and implemented
- Looks at the various roles of individuals including contractors, employers, sub-contractors and contract administrators within the contract process
- Discusses how JCT provisions deal with administrative matters, such as payment, control of the works, and control of time.
JCT Contracts Discovery is designed to flexible to a variety of teaching and learning needs. It can be used as a stand-alone module on JCT contracts or it can be incorporated into the existing structure of a construction-related course. In addition the materials can be adapted to be delivered in a number of ways: as lecture material, course reading, or part of an e-learning package.
Note – page correction A page correction has been issued for JCT Contracts Discovery.
Click here to download the correction page.