3-year term from March 2021
The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) is the premier contract writing body for the UK construction industry. It has a unique span of influence across the industry, with a membership that includes private and public employers, professional bodies, contractors, and sub-contractors. The chair acts as an ambassador for JCT to government and the industry at large.
We are seeking a person experienced in chairing board meetings and large meetings comprising various interest groups. The ability to overcome challenges and to facilitate and achieve collaboration and consensus is essential. Knowledge and understanding of the structure and operation of the construction industry is desirable in this period of major change.
All participants in JCT are unpaid, apart from a small staff, but expenses are reimbursed in accordance with JCT Expenses Reimbursement Policy.
The minimum time commitment will be 5 days a year.
Information about the candidate and job description are set out below.
About the candidate
You will have experience of operating at a senior level within your profession for a number of years and will have been recognised for your contribution in terms of leadership, innovation, or achievement in a particular field.
Your experience in chairing groups and forums at a high level will be essential, and you will welcome the opportunity to bring your expertise to bear with one of the most well regarded organisations in the construction industry.
You will be heading up a multi-disciplinary, cross-sector industry body, whose work impacts all aspects of the construction and contract drafting process. Your skills and leadership will contribute to representing and raising the profile of JCT nationally and internationally, and at local and national government level.
- Chair meetings of the Company
- Chair the Board of Directors
- Chair the JCT Council: five Colleges of sector representatives
- Liaise with the JCT office in matters to be put to the Company, Board and Council
- Comment upon the draft minutes prepared by the JCT office and to sign the approved minutes of the Company, Board and Council meetings
- Chair the appointing panel in respect of senior staff
- Attend ad hoc meetings with JCT members to facilitate matters of business where difficulties have arisen or might arise
- Represent and promote JCT at meetings of national importance and liaise with organisations relevant to the work of JCT
- Contribute to JCT policy and standing through writing and speaking engagements.
In respect of meetings, the Chair is required to ensure that:
- any meeting has been properly convened
- a quorum is present
- meetings are regulated and conducted in accordance with the Articles
- there is a forum for proper debate
- the business of the agenda is expedited.
To apply, please email your CV and details of relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 1 September 2020
Interviews will be held in October 2020.